are some interesting
Below are some of the more amazing insect facts.
Insects are by far the most successful group of animals on the Earth.
Poster by AllPosters. Click on thumbnail to buy
* They are also by far the most numerous - there are believed to be up
to 10 million insect species and we have no idea how many we haven't
* Their short lives mean a quick generation turnover which means they
are incredibly quick to adapt to any new conditions - the main reason
for their evolutionary success
* Their eveolutionary history goes back 350-400 million years. Ours is
* Insects and spiders are two different things - none of them belongs
to the group of the other
* The most clear difference between insects and spiders is that insects
have six legs while spiders have eight
* While many spiders are harmful, very few of insects are (less than 1%)
* Most insects are harmless and many are outright good - they are plant
pollinators, as well as food for our loved birds and animals
* There are almost as many ant species only, as the amount of all
species of birds.
* Ants can carry weights more than 50 times of their own.
* The total weight of all termites on Earth is 10 times the weight of
* But by far the largest group of insects is beetles.
* Mosquitoes can flap their wings 500 times/second.
* Only female mosquitoes bite. Males live on plant material.
* That also means only females carry any insect borne deseases harmful
to humans, such as malaria, dengue fever etc.
* About one in 1000 female mosquitoes could carry one of these, but
that's in world average. In some countries/areas that number is higher
or lower than in others.
* Only male crickets chirp
* Praying mantis is the only insect that can turn its head to see
* Honey bees can fly up to 60 miles per day. To gather the nectar
needed to make one pound of honey they have to make about 10 million
* Cockroaches can live without head for three weeks.