this page you have some fun
Here is some funny trivia, Aussie BBQ rules and a few other tips
This is a humorous page, so if you landed here and you
weren’t looking for Australian jokes,
take the facts here as a little exaggerated. But it gives you an idea
about the Aussie life ;-) If you have got an Aussie joke that suits in
here, you can submit it in the end of the page.
Bondi Beach BBQ. Poster by AllPosters. Click on thumbnail
Fun Facts about Australia: Funny Trivia
* It's not summer until the steering wheel is too hot to
* On picnics, the Esky is always too small, creating a food versus grog
battle that can only ever be solved by leaving the food behind.
* Whether it's a birthday party, the opening of Parliament, or the
launch of a new art gallery, there is no Australian event that cannot
be improved by a sausage sizzle on the barbeque.
* There is no food that cannot be improved by the application of tomato
* If there's any sort of free event or party within a hundred
kilometres, you'd be a mug not to go.
* The alpha male in any group is the one who takes the barbecue tongs
from the hands of the host and blithely begins turning the snags.
* The phrase "a simple picnic" is not known. You should bring
everything you own. If you don't need to make three trips back to the
car, you're not trying.
* If invited to a party, you should bring cheap red wine and then spend
all night drinking the host's beer. (Don't worry, he'll have catered
Fun Facts about Australia
* The phrase "we've got a great lifestyle" means everyone in the family
drinks too much.
* The most popular and widely praised family in any street is the one
that has got the swimming pool.
* On the beach, all Australians hide their keys and wallets by placing
them inside their sandshoes. No thief has ever worked this out.
* A thong is not a piece of scanty swimwear, as in America, but a fine
example of Australian footwear. A group of sheilas wearing black rubber
thongs may not be as exciting as you had hoped.
* All our best heroes are losers.
* The sealed road always ends just after the house of the local mayor.
* If the guy next to you is swearing like a wharfie he's probably a
media billionaire. Or on the other hand, he may be a wharfie.
More Fun Facts about Australia
If you really want to have a good
some fun facts about Australia, I
really recommend the Sunburnt Country, aka Down Under, by Bill Bryson.
He is my favourite author, with a great sense of humour, and his books
about Australia are absolutely hilarious.
He loves Australia and makes
great fun of
things in a positive way through the eyes of an outsider. Ways
you never looked at Australia!
* Unless ethnic or a Pom, you are not permitted to sit down in your
front yard, or on your front porch. Pottering around, gardening or
leaning on the fence is acceptable. Just don't sit. That's what
backyards are for.
* The wise man chooses a partner who is attractive not only to himself,
but also to the mosquitoes.
* It is proper to refer to your best friend as "a total bastard". By
contrast, your worst enemy is "a bit of a bastard".
* Historians believe the widespread use of the word "mate" can be
traced to the harsh conditions on the Australian frontier in the 1890s,
and the development of a code of mutual aid, or "mateship".
Alternatively, Australians may just be really hopeless with names.
An Aussie front yard. Poster by AllPosters. Click on
Fun Facts about Australia: Australian Creation Story
In the beginning God created day and night. He created day for footy
matches, going to the beach and BBQs.
He created night for going prawning, sleeping and BBQs, and God saw
that it was good.
On the Second Day, God created water - for surfing, - swimming and BBQs
on the beach and God saw that it was good.
On the Third Day God created the Earth to bring forth plants - - to
provide malt and yeast for beer and wood for BBQs, and God saw that it
On the Fourth Day God created animals and crustaceans for chops,
sausages, steak and prawns for BBQs, And God saw that it was good.
On the Fifth day God created a bloke - to go to the footy, enjoy the
beach, drink the beer and eat the meat and prawns at BBQs, and God saw
that it was good.
On the Sixth Day God saw that the Bloke was lonely and needed someone
to go to the footy, surf, drink beer, eat and stand around the barbie
So God created mates, and God saw that they were good blokes, and God
saw that it was good.
On the Seventh Day God looked around at the twinkling barbie fires,
heard the hiss of opening beer cans and the raucous laughter of all the
blokes. He smelled the aroma of grilled chops and sizzling prawns and
God Saw that it was good ... ..
He saw that the blokes were too tired to clean up and needed a rest.
So God created Sheilas - to clean the house, to bear children, to wash,
to cook and to clean the Barbie, and then God saw that it was not just
It was better than that, it was Bloody Awesome!
IT WAS AUSTRALIA!
What a great country this is!!!!!!
Thanks for these fun facts about Australia, Rowena!
Poster by AllPosters. Click on thumbnail to buy
Fun Facts about Australia: Why Jesus Was an Aussie
* He was a chippy, who like all good union members didn't work on
* His favourite past times were fishing, camping, going 4-wheel
donkeying, and most of his mates were fishermen.
* His mates all had nicknames: The Rock, The Doubter, Simon Peter, The
* The only time he went to church as a young bloke he got into a fight.
* He was a champion surfer - he was almost as good as if he could walk
* He did a mean barbeque, 5000 people rock up, no wuckers throw a few
fresh caught fish on the barbie, some buns and a bit of mum's potato
salad (it's in the Gospel of Thomas, trust me) and bob's your uncle.
* No one is exactly sure where he was earning his quid from but he had
a mate in the Tax Office so it was all sweet.
* And to top it all off, he turned water into alcohol and so founded
the tradition of Aussie home brew.
Poster by AllPosters. Click on thumbnail to buy
Fun Facts about Australia: Aussie Home Security System
In case you want to use a home security system while you
out (= pub/fishing), here’s a cheap one:
1. Go to a second-hand store and buy a pair of men's used size 14-16
2. Place them on your front porch, along with several empty beer cans,
a copy of Guns & Ammo magazine and several NRA magazines.
3. Put a few giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazines.
4. Leave a note on your door that reads: "Hey Bubba, Big Jim, Duke and
Slim, I went to the gun shop for more ammunition. Back soon. Don't mess
with the pit bulls – they attacked the mailman this morning and messed
him up real bad. I don't think Killer took part in it but it was hard
to tell from all the blood.
P.S. - I locked all four of 'em in the house. Better wait outside."
Thanks for these fun facts about Australia, Tanya!
More FUNNY books
by Bill Bryson
you like Bill Bryson like I do, you may want to check his other books,
which are just as good as are his books about Australia.
He is known as the
world's best travel
writer, and if you don't know yet, you will see why!!!
This site uses
British English, which is the English we use in Australia. You will
find words like "traveller", "harbour" and "realise", and they are all
correct in the language used in Australia.
best efforts have been made to ensure
that all the information on this site is correct,
gondwananet.com is not to be blamed should there be a mistake.
All contents of this website are strictly protected
by the Law of Copyright. What
does that mean?